John J. Swidler, FCA, is a Senior Advisor with the Montréal office of Richter. He was admitted to Partnership in June 1973 and was the Chairman of the Executive Committee of Richter from 1982 to 1996 and the Firm’s Managing Partner from 1996 to January 1, 2007.
His professional practice includes providing business advisory services to publicly-owned and privately-held companies. He has been engaged to advise financial institutions, private equity funds and large Canadian businesses in significant acquisition, disposition and merger transactions. Recognized for his capability in financial restructuring, he has worked in this area of expertise to assist in the restructuring of many important businesses in Canada.
An accomplished speaker, John has addressed various professional bodies and has participated in industry seminar panels. He is also active in a number of organizations in the Montréal business community.
Professional Affiliations and Community Involvement
- Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec - Member
- Licensed Insolvency Trustee
- Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals Past-President and founding member
- Founding member and past Director of The Insolvency Institute of Canada Founding member and past Director
- Reitmans (Canada) Limited, February 2008 (Member of Audit Committee)
- Dollarama Inc., January 2010 (Chairman of Audit Committee)
- Noranda Income Fund, October 2010 (Chairman of the Board and Chairman of the Independent Committee)
- Bachelor of Commerce, McGill University, 1965
- Chartered Accountant (CA), 1967
- Bachelor of Civil Law, McGill University, 1969
- Fellow Chartered Accountant (FCA), 1992
- Fellow of the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (FCIRP), 1996