Harvey Sands is a consultant in Richter’s Real Estate Services group, focusing on major real estate projects and foreign real estate transactions and investments in Canada. He also specializes in advisory services and leads the firm’s First Nation/Aboriginal Advisory Services group.
Harvey has been involved in the organization of numerous business acquisitions, the organization of joint ventures, as well as domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, representing purchasers, target companies, private equity investors and project sponsors. He has extensive experience in transaction architecture, negotiation and execution, real estate investment, and mining joint ventures.
In the last several years Harvey has represented a number of major US, European and Middle Eastern-based investors, including US and foreign REITs and family offices.
Harvey’s practice also includes representation of, and counsel to, Aboriginal and First Nation groups in Impact and Benefit Agreements (IBA), as well as in economic development, capacity building, land claims and financial governance matters as part of Richter’s comprehensive First Nation/Aboriginal Advisory Services group.
Additionally, Harvey provides business advisory and assurance services to a diverse entrepreneurial clientele, primarily in real estate investment and development, including the lodging and hospitality sectors. He also provides business advisory and assurance services to clients in the manufacturing, distribution, technology and financial sectors, surrounding acquisitions, consolidations and roll-ups.
Professional Affiliations and Community Involvement
- Member of the Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec, since 1975
- Member of CPA Canada, since 1976
- Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation, since 1981
- Member of the International Fiscal Association, since 1985
- Transaction Advisor of the Aboriginal and First Nations Impact and Benefit Agreements (IBA), since 1999
- ICD, Directors Education Program, 2016
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 1975
- B.Com., Loyola College, 1971
- “Effective Strategies to Manage Operating Costs and Operation of a Rental Property”, Quebec Apartment Investment Conference, February 13, 2009.
- “Current Strategies in Negotiating Impact and Benefits Agreements in Natural Resource and Pipeline Development Projects, on behalf of Aboriginal Groups”, Forum Autochtone sur la gestion des ressources naturelles et du territoire, October 8, 2008.
- Engaging and Negotiating with Aboriginal Communities, September 2010.
- Current Evolved Standards in First Nation Impact and Benefit Agreement Negotiations, World Mining Congress, Montreal 2013.
- “Focus: Business Realities Impact and Benefit Agreement Negotiations (Strategy and Practice)”, Aboriginal Financial Officers Association Canada National Conference, February 2015.
Publications and Media
- “Tenant Inducements Payments,” Espace Montréal Magazine, January 24, 2012.
- “Strategies for Impact Benefit Agreements (IBA) Success.” Aboriginal Entrepreneurs Conference, November 1, 2011.
- With Karine Ann Ciura, “Current Expenses or Capital Expenditures?” Espace Montréal Magazine, October 25, 2011.
- “Is there a ‘Best’ Way for a Canadian Individual to Own U.S. Real Estate?” Espace Montréal Magazine, August 5, 2011.
- “How different players in the retail business are making it through the economic crisis.” La Presse (Affaires), May 25, 2011.
- Review of Current Standards of Impact & Benefits Agreements (2012).
- “Effectively Managing Taxation Concerns When Dealing with Aboriginal Communities, Reserves and Companies,” 2012 Fundamentals of Aboriginal Law Conference, 2012.
- Real Estate Purchase and Sale Transactions, 2012.
Harvey is a frequent speaker at many high-profile conferences. He has lectured extensively on various Aboriginal advisory and taxation matters, real estate and business advisory topics in Quebec, Alberta Nunavut, Ontario, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Harvey is also Richter’s lead for the Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of Canada (AFOA Canada), of which Richter is a corporate member.
- Committed to privacy of client relations and service integrity.