Clark Lonergan began his career at a large public accounting firm where he led and managed a diverse range of local, national and international financial restructuring engagements in Canada and the United States. Prior to rejoining public practice in 2010, Clark spent five years in industry including at Magna International Inc., working out of the Chairman’s office assisting in the finance, accounting and operational functions for several business units. With a wealth of experience and specialized knowledge in his repertoire, Clark combines strategic and tactical financial expertise with strong qualifications in formal and informal restructuring, operations and P&L management.
Clark has acted as an advisor to debtors, secured creditors, and unsecured creditors with respect to businesses experiencing significant change and/or financial difficulties including ongoing monitoring, viability assessments and recommendations on available alternatives. He has extensive experience in underperforming company-, turnaround-, and insolvency-related engagements involving entities of all sizes. Skilled at integrating finance with core operations, Clark is an invaluable resource to clients undergoing changes in their business.
Clark’s industry expertise includes automotive retail/leasing as well as manufacturing (auto, rail). He has worked with dealerships and deal groups across Canada and has in-depth experience working with aggregators and securitizors in leasing and CSA financing, with portfolios of $30 – 150M, in both prime and sub-prime assets. Clark has led due diligence of purchasing financing portfolios, purchase price analysis and negotiation, capital adjustments and services as well as in-depth audits of inventory field exams, inventory and portfolio data analytics. His analysis of the auto industry “Automotive Industry: Distress Signs Lenders Should Watch for as Loan Delinquencies Rise,” was recently published in Canada’s National Creditor Debtor Review.
Fields of expertise
- Strategic and operational business planning
- Public/private capital markets and equity financing
- Financial modeling/planning and risk management
- Revenue/profit and cash flow optimization
- Divestitures and asset liquidation
- Banking, audit and legal relations
- Consumer products
- Chartered Insolvency & Restructuring Professional (CIRP), 2013
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2001
- Post Baccalaureate Diploma, Accounting, University of Waterloo, 1999
- Honours B.A., Accounting, University of Waterloo, 1998
Professional and Community Involvement
- Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals (CAIRP) - member
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Canada - member
- Chartered Professional Accountants of Ontario - member
- McGee/Clark Fundraiser - founder
- Co-author. Automotive Industry: Distress Signs Lenders Should Watch for as Loan Delinquencies Rise, National Creditor Debtor Review, September 2016.