Mathieu Gauvin joined Richter in 2006 and is currently a partner in the firm. Mathieu is a seasoned professional with more than 30 years of experience in financing as well as merger and acquisition. He has been actively involved in a number of major and highly complex financial transactions over the course of his career. He has extensive expertise in investment funds management, which he acquired carrying out dozens of investment transactions.
Before joining the firm, Mathieu was a partner with Schroders & Associates Canada Inc., a leading buy-out funds manager. He spent almost 20 years with Schroders, taking part in research, restructuring and negotiation of acquisitions, corporate refinancings as well as divestiture of portfolio companies. As part of his duties, Mathieu has developed many business plans and conducted multiple due diligence mandates. He has sat on the board of directors of a number of companies, to provide assistance in managing the post-acquisition transition, for strategic planning and for operation and management challenges. As such, he has acquired a thorough and comprehensive knowledge of investment funds, from strategy to operations, as well as governance regarding investment funds and businesses of different sizes in various sectors.
As a partner in the Transaction Advisory Services Group, Mathieu is an expert advisor to private and publicly listed companies operating in a wide variety of sectors as well as private equity investment funds. He provides particular assistance in matters relating to business acquisition and sale transactions, research, the structuring and negotiation of acquisitions as well as corporate refinancings.
Fields of expertise
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business valuation
- Fairness opinions
- Governance and sound management practices for investment funds
- Chartered Financial Analyst (CFA), 1995
- Chartered Business Valuator (CBV), 1988
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 1986
- B. Com., McGill University, 1983
Professional and community involvement
- Board of Directors of Logistik Unicorp Inc. - Member and Chairman, Audit Committee since 2014
- Board of Directors of Supremex Inc. - Member and Chairman, Audit Committee since 2011
- Board of Directors of Groupe HNZ Inc. - Member and Chairman, Audit Committee since 2007
- CFA Montréal Association - Member since 1995
- Board of Directors of Richelieu Hardware Limited - Member and Chairman, Audit Committee since 1993
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Business Valuators - Member since 1988
- Quoted in an article by Guy Paquin, “Le business staging,” La Presse Affaires, May 2012.
- Quoted in an article by Martine Letarte, “Bien tirer son épingle du jeu,” La Presse Affaires, May 2012.
- Quoted in the article “Comment les acquisitions créent de la valeur,” Les Affaires, November 2011.
- Quoted in the article “Quand vendre son entreprise privée?,” Les Affaires, November 2011.
- Quoted in the article “Acquisition : les risques,” Les Affaires, November 2011.