Robert Chayer is a distinguished tax consultant with more than 25 years of U.S. tax experience. Before joining forces with Richter in 2010, he was a U.S. tax partner in a large accounting firm. In 2004, he founded CANAMTAX, a firm specializing in U.S. tax services for Canadians. Robert has also taught Master’s-level courses, has been a guest speaker for a number of renowned companies and organizations, and has co-authored a specialized U.S. tax guide.
Robert is a partner in our Tax Division, where he leads our U.S. tax team. Robert’s large clientele is primarily composed of accounting and law firms based in Canada, which call upon his innovative expertise to support their clients. He offers advice to individuals and companies in the field of U.S. and cross-border tax planning (e.g. income tax, sales tax, estate tax), in addition to services in connection with the preparation of Canadian and U.S. tax returns for individuals (services to expatriates).
Robert taught the U.S. tax course in the Master’s programs of the Université de Sherbrooke and the École des hautes études commerciales. He is also a guest lecturer for several important organizations, including the Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec, the Ordre des administrateurs agréés du Québec and the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF).
Fields of expertise
- U.S. tax advisory services
- U.S. and cross-border tax planning services (income tax, sales tax, estate tax)
- U.S. corporate tax returns
- Personal Canadian and U.S. income tax returns (services to expatriates)
- U.S. taxation
Professional and community involvement
- Association de planification fiscale et financière - Member and guest speaker since 1995
- M.S. Tax, University of New Haven, 1989
- Specialized B. Sc. in Economics, Université de Montréal, 1987
Publications and Media
- Author. “Cocktail annuel de reconnaissance,” Stratège, vol. 16, nº 1, February 2011.
- Interviewed. RDI Économie (tax principles) and Canal Argent.
- Quoted in an article by Mike King, “RSM Richter expands its U.S. tax-advisory practice CANAMTAX deal adds five tax professionals,” The Gazette, February 2010.
- Quoted in an article by Dominique Froment, “Robert Chayer quitte Raymond Chabot pour Plattsburgh,” Les Affaires, October 2004.
- Co-author of “Faire affaire aux États-Unis : aspects fiscaux américains et canadiens,” Ordre des comptables généraux licenciés du Québec, 2000.
- Quoted in an article by Dominique Froment, “Avant d'aller séjourner aux États-Unis, mesurez bien toutes les incidences fiscales,” Les Affaires, February 1995.