With more than 25 years of experience in audit, risk management and governance, specifically in IT, Laurent Carlier is definitely a specialist with a solid reputation. He obtained a diploma in public accounting in France (the equivalent of a CPA, CA designation) and also holds various certifications in IT controls and risk management, such as CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional). Laurent is also a Certified Corporate Director and has been serving on ISACA Montréal’s Board since 2012.
Laurent is responsible for our Information Technology Advisory Services group. Throughout his career, he has managed and carried out several IT audit, risk management and governance projects for small to large corporations in various industry sectors, including telecommunications, media, manufacturing, insurance, banking, and for government entities. He also carried out and managed several mandates particularly related to information security and cybersecurity.
This experience has made him familiar with multiple technologies, processes and governance structures for IT projects and teams. Laurent’s experience enables him to understand and address complex IT issues and simplify them to offer practical solutions for his clients. His recommendations were useful in implementing innovative and efficient governance solutions, especially where information security is concerned. He is known for his practical recommendations tailored to the challenges being faced by each organization.
Fields of expertise
- Business and technology risk management
- Assessment of information security and cybersecurity processes
- IT governance
- Third party reports (SSAE 16, CSAE 3416, SOC 1, SOC 2)
- Data risk management
- Assessment and improvement of general computer controls (SOX, 52-109)
Professional and community involvement
- Board Member and Vice President, Marketing of the ISACA Montréal, since 2012
- Member of the Réseau des professionnels en sécurité de l'information, since 2011
- Member of the Institute of Internal Auditors - Montreal Chapter, since 2005
- Member of the Chamber of Commerce France-Canada, since 2000
- Administrateur de sociétés certifié (ASC), 2013
- Certification in Risk Management Assurance (CRMA), 2013
- Certified Information Systems Security Professional (CISSP), 2002
- Certified Risk Professional (CRP), 2001
- Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA), 1998
- Diplômé d’expertise comptable, 1996
- Advanced University Degree in Business and Accounting, Burgundy School of Business, 1989
- Author. “Internet des objets : une révolution risquée,” Action Canada-France,CCI française au Canada. September 2016.
- Speaker. “La fraude au président,” at the Forum Sécurité et fraude 2016, Mouvement Desjardins. June 2016.
- Panelist. “COBIT 5 un outil pour l'audit et la conformité,” COBIT 5 Conference, ISACA Québec. April 2016.
- Moderator. “Facteurs humains : découvrez comment allier agilement vos stratégies de sécurité à la culture de votre organisation,” conference on information security, Les Affaires. March 2016.
- Quoted in “Fraude en entreprise – des données prises en otage,” La Presse+. March 2016.
- Author. “CEO Scam: You’re a target. Don’t become a victim”, Richter Website. December 2015.
- Speaker. “La fraude au président,” conference on fraud, Les Affaires. November 2015.
- Interviewed on information security awareness, Argent TV channel. October 2015.
- Passeport Formation: “Continuous Auditing: A Successful Implementation Scenario”, Institute of Internal Auditors. April 2011.
- Speaker. Deloitte Business Risk seminars — “data analytics” and “IT governance”. March 2011and April 2007 Instructor for Module 3 “Directors and Internal Control”, Collège des administrateurs de sociétés. From 2005 to 2011.
- Bill C-198: “Sarbanes-Oxley Law and Your Company”, Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec. January 2005.