Scott Binns is a partner in Richter’s Canadian Tax division. He specializes in estate planning, providing families and individuals tailored services in the area of estate administration. As an approachable professional, Scott uses his strong technical skills to relay complex tax concepts, and ensures his clients have a comprehensive understanding of their situation. Scott is also well-versed in all aspects of corporate and personal tax planning and Canadian income tax compliance matters, including issues relating to trusts, partnerships and individuals.
Scott combines these areas of expertise to create a centralized and holistic work approach that puts his clients’ needs at the center of every engagement. In this way, Scott not only provides tax services, he ensures the long-term prosperity of his clients’ companies and families.
Scott’s technical expertise is recognized by his peers, both at Richter and outside of the firm. He plays an important role in the Richter’s tax training programs, having initiated the firm’s onboarding tax program for new employees. He was also an evaluator for the Common Final Examination (CFE) for CPA Canada for several years,led the Part I In-depth Taxation course for CPA Canada, as well as a course for the Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec. Scott is also an active participant in the Canadian Tax Foundation’s training programs.
Fields of expertise
- Corporate reorganizations
- Estate planning
- Canadian income tax compliance: Corporations,Trusts,Partnerships and Individuals
- Lecturer, Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec, 2013
- Lecturer, Level I In-depth Tax Course, CPA Canada, 2011
- Leadership Diploma, McGill University, 2010
- Levels I-III In-depth Tax Course, Corporate Reorganization, CPA Canada, 2003-2008
- Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA, CA), 2001
- Graduate Diploma in Accountancy, Concordia University, 2000
- B.Com, Accounting and Finance, Concordia University, 1998
Professional Affiliations and Community Involvement
- Member of the Quebec Order of Chartered Professional Accountants, since 2001
- Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF), since 2002
- Member of the CPA Canada, since 2002
Professional and community involvement
- Member of the organizing committee for the CTF’s estate planning conference 2017
- Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF), Member, Since 2002
- CPA Canada, Member since 2002
- Speaker. “The New Trust Rules: More than just losing graduated rates”, Canadian Tax Foundation, Technical Seminar, Feb. 18, 2016