With close to 30 years of tax experience, Michel Babeu puts his extensive expertise to use in serving SMEs and owner-managed businesses. Having himself founded and managed his own accounting firm in the 1990s, he is especially known for his in-depth understanding of the challenges facing entrepreneurs. He joined Richter in 2009 following the merger of RSM Richter and Chamberland Hodge. Michel is a tax partner in the firm.
Michel acts as a business advisor and tax expert in serving clients operating in a variety of industries. He provides specialized assistance regarding ideal tax structures tailored to each client’s needs in order to support the growth and profitability of their businesses. He provides tax advisory services regarding estate freezes, business transfers, profit sharing, the establishment of family trusts and business acquisitions and sales.
Fields of expertise
- Estate freezes
- Business transfers
- Quebec Tax Credits
- Establishment of family trusts
- Business acquisitions and sales
- Professional services
- Retail business
Professional affiliations and community involvement
- Member of the Association de planification fiscale et financière (APFF)
- Member of the Canadian Tax Foundation (CTF)
- Member of Board of Directors of Univalor, since 2014
- Member of the Quebec Order of Chartered Professional Accountants tax committee, since 2012
- Member of Board of Directors of the FTM Investment Fund, 2000 to 2004
- M.S. Taxation, Université de Sherbrooke, 1987
- Chartered professional accountant (CPA, CA), 1986
- B.B.A., HEC Montréal, 1983
Regular guest speaker at various activities organized by the Ordre des comptables professionnels agréés du Québec and the Association de planification fiscale et financière.
- Author. “Measures to Facilitate the Transfer of a Family Business Are Poorly Adapted to the Reality of SMEs”, October 2016.
- Quoted in an article by Priscilla Franken. “Finances personnelles : Question/réponse : Envoi de Gilles Lebel, Québec : “Peut-on éviter de payer de l'impôt lors de la vente d'une résidence secondaire?,” Protégez-vous, p. 30, July 2012.
- Quoted in an article by Priscilla Franken. “Finances Personnelles : Investir : “Bonjour, c'est pour le loyer...,” Protégez-vous, p. 37, June 2012.
- Quoted in an article by Priscilla Franken. “Et les impôts, ça dit quoi?,” Protégez-vous, May 2012.
- Quoted in an article by Christine Deslandes. “Le CELI a un an déjà,” Le Soleil, January 2012.
- Interviewed. “En Affaires,” chaîne Argent, Montréal, March 2011.